September 1, 1932: "Two new steel lookout towers have been placed, one 80 feet high on the Wofford Lookout station north of Cloudcroft; the other 48 feet high on the Gallinas Lookout in Lincoln county. Each replace worn-out wooden towers, and are thoroghly protected against lightning in the best known scientific manner. Each lookout is encased in a network of heavy copper wires, all of which is well grounded, thus insulating the occupant from lightning. The two towers completed the entire series of towers on the Lincoln Forest into steel ones. There are 11 lookout stations. An observation cabin has been places on Mount Jeau." (Almogordo News)
October 20, 1932: "A new 85-foot tower is to be placed at the Wofford Lookout at the head of Silver Springs Canyon, four or five miles from Cloudcroft." (Alamogordo News)
February 9, 1933: "The local Supervisor's office has received notice by the Aermotor Co., Chicago, of the shipment of two steel lookout towers. One is 80 feet in height, equipped with an inside stairs, to be placed at the Wofford tower, east of Cloudcroft." (Alamogordo News)
February 16, 1933: "Two new towers mentioned last week have arrived. An 80-ft new steel tower with inside stairs, is to be located at the Wofford lookout." (Alamogordo News)
June 8, 1933: "The new Wofford tower two miles from Cloudcroft has been erected and is now in service. Several of the C.C.C. boys assisted in putting this tower up." (Alamogordo News)
1933: An Aermotor Model MC-39 steel tower was erected by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps.
April 8, 1943: "The prevailing dry weather is causing the starting of Forest Fire Control work earlier than usual. Henry Beebe moved up to Wofford Lookout tower this week." (Alamogordo News)
January 28, 1988: The lookout complex was officially added to the National Register of Historic Places.