October 18, 1932: "Members of Mountain Club plan a rather strenuous climb for Sunday. Leaving Old Main at 9 a.m., they expect to drive to the ranger station in the upper Buckhorn region and then climb to the fire lookout at the top of White Pine mountain. Ranger H.A. Payson will accompany the party which expects to enjoy a fine view from the top of the mountain." (Fort Collins Express-Courier)
1939: A timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees. This tower replaced an earlier crow's nest lookout.
1978: The Forest Service decommissioned the lookout.
November 4, 1978: The lookout's cab was removed to Lee Martinez City Park in Fort Collins by the Army Reserve using a helicopter.
August 25, 2011: The lookout cab was again moved. This time by truck and trailer to the Running Deer Natural Area, where it will be more accessible to the public.
2012: The repaired cabin was opened to the public.